Lowball appraisals can kill deals. They can also kill a refinancing application. If an appraisal comes in too low, it’s not worth refinancing, or you might need to put in a whole lot more equity. Don’t regret at not doing more to plan and prepare. Here are some tips based on real situations. It’s important to keep the look, feel and condition of the property as updated and cared-for as possible.
1. Spruce up the house.
2. Curb appeal also matters.
3. Prepare a list of all the updates.
4. If available, have comps on hand.
5. Be mindful of peeling paint.
6. Focus on what counts.
7. Location still matters.
8. Get the most bang for your buck.
9. Actual age is less important than “effective age,”
10. Lock up Fido and Fifi
11. Photos Help
12. Let the Appraiser do her job.